WHAT IS CLEAN EATING? It’s a lifestyle of eating food that’s minimally processed or in its most natural form—also known as whole food. Rich in naturally-occurring nutrients, whole foods have been the basis of the NeoLife philosophy since the company began back in 1958. Here are some ways that you can incorporate clean eating into your daily life.
1. Switch Your Pantry Staples: Gift or trash refined grains bereft of nutrients including white flour, white bread, and white sugar. Replace with nutrient-rich whole grains such as whole wheat flour or nut flours, 100% whole wheat bread, and agave syrup or raw honey.
2. Read the Label: When choosing packaged food, look for those with ingredients that you recognize and can pronounce. Packaged food tends to be high in added sugar which can add inches to your waistline, and high in sodium which can increase your blood pressure. Some not-so-obvious culprits: tomato sauce, jams and jellies, and dairy products.
3. Choose Organic: When possible, buy fruits and vegetables that have been grown organically whether they’re fresh (preferred), frozen or canned. Check the ingredient list to avoid added sugar, sodium, or preservatives.
4. Go With Healthy Fats: Heart-healthy fats including olive oil, avocado, and nut butters are a great substitute for saturated fats from butter and red meat.
5. Cook At Home: Cooking from scratch lets you control the ingredients and will help you reduce your dependence on processed foods. Involve your family and friends in the creating experience—and enjoy some quality time in the process!